At present, women represent about 15% of the total number of deputies and senators in both chambers of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation.
The need for women involved in politics to unite is particularly important right now because, thanks to the Federation Council and its chair, Valentina Matviyenko, the women’s agenda has been gaining momentum, has become front and centre, and is responding to new challenges and realities. This certainly requires an appropriate response from Russian female politicians by rallying them to conduct further work to advance the interests of women in politics and expand their political presence.
The Club of Women Parliamentarians is a voluntary association of women involved in politics who represent legislative bodies of the Russian Federation at all levels. It was created to promote the women’s agenda in government bodies throughout the country as well as to assist women in achieving their interests in politics, business, science, social engineering, and social activities.
Voluntarily uniting women’s efforts aims to strengthen peace and well-being, which also helps to create favourable conditions to attract young women and get them involved in Russia’s political processes and public life, develop and bolster the institution of parliamentarianism as well as create additional social lifts.
- Provide assistance in expanding women’s representation at all levels of government in the Russian Federation as well as their involvement in the decision-making process
- Expand cooperation among women in politics
- Facilitate women’s access to politics, create the necessary social lifts, and train skilled personnel
- Promote the dissemination of a positive image about female politicians in the media and on social media
- Transfer and exchange experience between women in politics
- Organize events as part of the activities of the Club of Women Parliamentarians in an effort to enhance women’s political astuteness
- Hold seminars and meetings for women parliamentarians as well as other events (roundtables, webinars, conferences, and strategic sessions) on ways to bolster women’s partnerships in order to exchange experience and promote women’s interests in politics
- Collaborate with Russia’s regions on the implementation of the Club’s programmes
- Expand the range of ways and methods used to provide information support for women’s activities in politics by disseminating social advertising in the media and on social media and engaging in activities to promote the female image in politics
- Analysis of women’s role in politics and women’s influence on the internal political situation in Russia’s regions
- Assistance in the creation of (advisory) bodies in all of Russia’s regions under the highest officials in order to promote women’s interests in all spheres
Project partners (planned):
- The Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation
- The State Duma of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation
- The administrations of Russia’s regions
- The legislative bodies of Russia’s regions
- The Agency for Strategic Initiatives